History of Central fire station, the 1940's.

Published: 11-02-2014 photo #4696 10 comments 0 votes

Scale:1/76    Category:Fire Fighting Equipment    Manufacturer:Scratch built / modified - Oxford Diecast - Langley Models - BW Models - Airfix    Country:United Kingdom    Year:2014 Contributor:Mel Turbutt

Description

Central fire station is the headquarters of the City of Middleton Fire Brigade, a small brigade consisting of just 4 stations. Central was opened in 1939, just months before the outbreak of the war. During wartime appliance line-ups were rare and often subject to the censor, so this view of crews preparing their appliances ready for any possible air raids is about as good as it gets.
This is just after the nationalisation of the fire service and the appliances are a mixture of pre-war and Home Office vehicles. Being a headquarters station, Central was home to many specials including a pre-war TL and ET, a mobile dam unit, a foam tender and even a canteen van.

The diorama is 1/76 and most of the appliances are from Oxford Diecasts with other conversions from Airfix, BW Models and Langley. The figures are a mixture of Airfix conversions and MMS Models. The fire station is scratch built.

SHARE THIS PICTURE    

Similar photos



Comments (10)


SIGN IN OR REGISTER TO JOIN THE CONVERSATION


© Copyright 2017 photo-forums.net. All rights reserved